I am super excited to share with you one of my favourite adaptable recipes! This Pesto is so simple, and unbelievably delicious!
This Vegan Kale & Basil Pesto’s VIBRANT green colour screams ‘Detoxification and Healthy Life’. This recipe differs from the traditional pesto recipes using mainly parmesan, olive oil, and a handful of greenery. I personally, love my nourishing leafy friends, creating a gastronomical delight for your taste buds.
This beautiful blend of flavours uses a combination of wholesome, enriching ingredients including Iron-Rich Kale. Iron is essential for the transportation of fresh oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, and healthy liver function. The second most important ingredient in this recipe is Basil. This herb is commonly overlooked, but its amazing anti-inflammatory properties important in reducing swelling and arthritis will have to scrambling to add more basil to each meal.
Nutritional yeast, one of vegan’s best friends, is used in my Vegan Kale and Basil Pesto. This ingredient embodies a nutty and cheesy taste providing a wealth of vitamins, minerals and protein. One of the great benefits of nutritional yeast is the B-B-Bounce containing properties, leaving you energised throughout the day with a high dose of vitamin B. Nutritional Yeast is one of the best sources of vitamin B12 for vegans, as this vitamin is normally found in animal products. I like to highlight the importance of Vitamin B12 as it plays a vital role in proper digestion, fat metabolism, female reproductivity, and elevates our mood with the feeling of well-being. A deficiency of vitamin B12 can scarily lead to our nervous system depreciating and cognitive impairment. So load up on the nutty, cheesy goodness!
This Vegan Kale & Basil Pesto goes amazingly well with delicious carrot and celery sticks for an afternoon snack. Alternatively, this pesto is the perfect additive to any recipe including my scrumptious Vegan Kale & Basil Pesto Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes (recipe to come, so stay tuned).
Makes 1 cup
Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Sides, Dressing & Dips
Preparation and total time:
- 1 ½ cup of fresh basil leaves
- 2 cup of fresh kale leaves
- ¾ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of toasted pine-nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- celtic sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 x Small skillet
- 1 x measuring cup
- 1 x measuring spoon
- 1 x chopping board
- 1 x chopping knife
- Food Processor
- Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes until they are a golden brown colour
- Place the garlic, basil, kale, apple cider vinegar and toasted pine nuts into the food processor.
- Process until well combined
- Add in the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder and coconut oil. Blend until smooth
- Add in salt and pepper to taste. Add in more water if the kale/basil pesto needs more liquid
- Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, leaving it to warm to room temperature before using. Bon A Petit!
- Try replacing the pine nuts with other nuts for a different flavour such as cashews, macadamias, or walnuts
- To add a little zest to your life, and pesto, incorporate 3 tbs of fresh lemon juice