“When life gives you a lemon… squeeze it, mix it with six ounces of distilled water and drink twice daily.” –Jethro Kloss
I love starting my mornings with a glass of warm lemon water with cayenne pepper, turmeric, and ginger added to this (not exactly for everyone, but eventually you will come around to this), as it not only wakes me up when I am still in my mid slumber, but it also kick starts my metabolism and my bodies detoxification system.
Lemons are an amazing, vibrant coloured fruit that automatically makes you feel refreshed and energised just by looking at it (or maybe this is just the effect that it has on me). The incorporation of lemons will do anyone’s diet wonders. Whilst, lemons have an acidic taste (yes we have all had that sour lemon face once in our lifetime) they are one of the most alkaline foods assisting our bodies natural pH levels to rebalance so that it can fight off cancers with the antioxidants and continue to cleanse our systems. Lemons are also rich in vitamin C playing an important part in increasing the bodies immunity against common colds/flus and fight diseases such as asthma. The vitamin C in lemons also benefits our bodies through assisting in the absorption of calcium and iron (important for people of all different diets) and lemons also act as a blood purifier removing the bodies toxins resulting glowing skin with health and happiness.
The use of lemons are incredibly diverse being used in teas and lemon oil useful for insomnia, anxiety, reduction of varicose veins (never a good look ladies and gentlemen) in addition to fighting fatigue, as the consumption of lemons stimulates brain activity increasing focus and concentration.
Lemons are always a great addition to any kitchen and used in a range of healthy vegan recipes such as smoothies, pasta sauces, and of course vegan desserts such as raw cakes, lemon and chia scones…and now my Raw Vegan Lemon Slice (either with or without icing).
This Raw Vegan Lemon Slice recipe is the perfect healthy dessert for an afternoon delight. The refreshing and zesty taste of the lemon will re-energise you for the rest of the day without being overly sweet (no refined sugar here), just a lovely balanced flavour that will keep you wanting more.
Makes 3 long slices
Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Preparation & Cooking Time
Raw Vegan Lemon Slice Base – 5 minutes prep time
Raw Vegan Lemon Slice Base -30 minutes standing time
Icing – 7 minutes making time
Icing – 1 Hour standing time
Raw Vegan Lemon Slice Base Ingredients
- ¾ cups of raw oat groats
- 14 Medijool Dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 ½ fresh lemons
- 1 ¼ cup of shredded coconut
- ¾ teaspoon of celtic sea salt
- 2 tbs of coconut oil
- 2 ½ tbs of coconut nectar
- ¼ cup of cashews
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 tbsp of coconut nectar
- Juice of 1 1 fresh lemon
- 1 x food processor
- 1 x measuring spoon
- 1 x measuring cup
- 1 x glass dish
- 1 x chopping board
- 1 x knife
Directions for the Raw Vegan Lemon Slice
- Pre-Soak the Oat Groats overnight. Or if you are time sensitive, soak these in lukewarm water for 30 minutes before using
- Pre-Soak the Medijool Dates in lukewarm water for 10 minutes
- Place the cashews in the food processor and process until into a fine powder
- Add the oats groats and the shredded coconut into the food processor to create a crumbly mixture
- Add in the dates, vanilla extract, lemon juice, sea salt, coconut nectar and coconut oil into the food processor and process until you are happy with the consistency
- Transfer your raw vegan lemon slice dough into the final dish and press the mixture down with your fingertips so that the mixture sticks together nicely
- Place your lemon bar base into the fridge so this can start to set while you move onto your icing. Or if you do not wish to make the icing put this in the fridge for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Direction of Raw Vegan Lemon Slice Icing
- Pre-Soak your cashews for 10 minutes in lukewarm water
- Add your cashews and shredded coconut into the food processor and process until this has formed a fine crumbly mixture
- Add in your remaining icing ingredients and process into a smooth consistency
- Spread your icing over the lemon bar base and leave to set in the refigerator for around an hour so that the icing can thicken up and the bar can stick together. Then slice into thin bars and serve. Bon A petit!
- These Raw vegan lemon slices can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week, or alternatively, these can be kept in the freezer and defrosted to room temperature before eating
- You can enjoy the raw vegan lemon slices without the icing and add in ½ cup more lemon juice for a more zesty flavour
- Adding the icing onto the lraw vegan emon slices adds more decadence to the bar and a slightly sweeter taste