Good Friday comes this month, the old woman runs
With one or two a penny hot cross buns.
Happy Joyous Easter!
The traditional Hot Cross Bun, consumed on Good Friday, dates back to the end of the fourteenth century, in England. The loaves were baked with a cross on them signifying good luck, protection, and when shared with another had the intention of ensuring friendship throughout the coming year.
The commercial hot cross bun is a sweet pastry made with raisins. The traditional recipe is laden with additives, butter, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar…all of the ingredients that I do not encourage you to consume. So I have decided to move away from the traditional recipe and have had so much fun in creating a Vegan Hot Cross Bun Smoothie! I believe that you can still indulge in the taste, but not give into the guilt of eating these highly processed and toxic high-sugar fat bombs that could ruin this joyous occasion.
My Vegan Hot Cross Bun Smoothie will have your kids wanting more providing them with only nutrient dense ingredients. Containing a good source of calcium and vitamin D necessary for growing bones from the almond milk, and the fibre and protein found in almond meal.
A hot cross bun would not be complete without the amazing taste of cinnamon. This spice has an energizing scent that increases healthy cognitive function and the regulation of blood sugar levels. This stabilizes energy levels and moods, so that both you and your kids are not bouncing off the walls with the spike in blood sugars, following with a crash in energy level.
Kick off your Easter Celebrations with making a batch of this delicious Vegan Hot Cross Bun Smoothie for your family and friends to thrive in the wholesome ingredients.
Makes 500 ml
Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Preparation & Cooking Time
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 medium frozen banana cut into four pieces
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spices
- 2/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp orange rind and a squeeze of fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
- 1 tsp coconut nectar
- Cinnamon Stick for garnish
- 1 x measuring cup
- 1 x measuring spoon
- 1 x knife
- Nutri Bullet or Blender
- Cut the banana into four pieces and freeze overnight in a plastic zip lock bag
- Take the Frozen Banana out of the freezer and combine all ingredients into the Nutri Bullet/Blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the Hot Cross Bun Smoothie into a tall glass, adding a cinnamon stick for garnish. Bon A Petit!
- Feel free to substitute the almond milk for coconut, soy, or rice milk depending upon your preference
- Add in 1 tbs of raw cacao to make it a Vegan Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Smoothie
- If you are not a fan of sultanas you can substitute this with dates
- If you do not like the taste of coconut nectar you can use rice bran syrup to keep this recipe vegan, or alternatively, use honey if you are not vegan